Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Grandmother's Crocheted Hat


An old family crocheted hat pattern handed down from my grandmother.

I use this pattern to crochet hats for my family and to donate to my prayer shawl ministry's hats for the local soup kitchen campaign. My prayer shawl ministry group donated over 160 hats, knitted and crocheted, to the soup kitchen in December.




Yarn: Bulky yarn (1 skein) or use two strands of worsted weight yarn (2 skeins)
Crochet Hook: Size J or size needed for gauge
Gauge: 6 rows x 10 sts (double crochet) = 4" x 4"

Rd 1: Ch 4. Join.
Rd 2: Ch 3. 5 dc in loop. Join. (16 sts)
Rd 3: Ch 3. DC in join stitch
. 2 dc each remaining dc. Join. (32 sts)
Rd 4: Ch 3. * 2 dc in next dc. 1 dc in next dc. Rep from * to end.
Join. (48 sts)
Rds 5 - 14: Ch 3. 1 dc in each st to end. Join.
(Optional rolled brim)
Rds 15 - 17: Ch 3. 1 dc in each st to end. Join. Weave in yarn ends.

Add pompom or decorative edging such as shell or picots, if desired.

I used Lion Brand's Homespun in Windsor for the sample hat, which I'll give to the prayer shawl ministry. I can usually get two hats from one skein of the homespun using this pattern.

If you're using worsted weight yarn, use two strands together to form a bulkier yarn.











No comments:

Post a Comment